Manscaped Review: The Perfect Package?
- The Manscaped Perfect Package 3.0 provides all the essentials for body grooming. While it has some shortcomings, it is a great introduction for men looking for a comprehensive kit.
- The Perfect Package 3.0 is worth the money if you plan on using all the included accessories.
- The Weed Whacker (nose hair trimmer), is a stellar product that should perform well for most men.
When it comes to body grooming, the biggest name in the business is Manscaped.
Their ads are everywhere…
I am willing to bet that before you came to this article, you probably saw them being sponsored by your favorite YouTuber, Instagram Influencer, or even on the latest UFC match.
While their ads are prevalent, how does their product actually perform?
In today’s guide, we are going to break down Manscaped – particularly The Perfect Package 3.0 and the Weed Whacker.
We are going deep here guys – from detailed product shots to actual trimming results, expect to get an unfiltered look at everything – including what’s inside the box, how their products perform, and ultimately if they are right for you…
…but first, a few administrative details:
Is This A Sponsored Post?
In a world of #sponsored influencer posts – there are a couple of things to note straight off the top:
- Manscaped sent me this package for free. No other compensation was given to me for this review.
- This review is not being evaluated or approved by their team prior to publication.
- There may be a few affiliate links throughout this guide (like this one) – a standard monetization method to help cover the operational costs of running a site.
- As you will see in just a minute, I am critical of their product and try my best to provide clear and trustworthy information to you.
Let’s dive in:
Unboxing The Perfect Package
Straight from the mailbox, The Perfect Package 3.0 is standard and fairly discrete. About the size of a shoebox, there are two transparent logos that are on the top and the side of the box:
This is only mentioned as some men may be a bit concerned with discretion – especially with a company centered around bold marketing about shaving your manhood.
Once opening up the box, you have a few product advertisements coupled with a not-so-subtle “Your Balls Will Thank You!” message:
After clearing away the flyers, you will see that each product gets its own slot in the box:
Now, I will be honest with you – whenever I saw this, I thought a product was missing from the package (specifically the Crop Cleanser body wash). The massive absence of such a product had me scratching my head. I double-checked the Manscaped website at this point to see if the Crop Cleanser was a part of The Perfect Package (it’s not).
Therefore, if you plan on giving this as a gift to someone else, it is something to note. However, if you are buying it for yourself, know that it’s supposed to look this way.
In The Perfect Package, you get the following:
- The Shed (Dopp kit)
- The Shave Mat (Manscaped Newspaper)
- Manscaped branded t-shirt
- Crop Reviver (ball toner)
- Crop Preserver (ball deodorant)
- Cradle, USB cable power outlet, cleaning brush, and attachment comb
- The Lawn Mower (hair trimmer)
- Manscaped branded boxer briefs
All of the above retails for $99.
Detailed Look At The Grooming Products
Here’s a breakdown of each of the grooming related products within the Perfect Package:
The Lawn Mower
The most important part of The Perfect Package is The Lawn Mower. It’s what will be responsible for cutting and trimming hair to your desired length.
Here’s a closer look at it:
At about 5.75” (~15cm) in length, it should easily fit into the palm of your hand.
One thing that was particularly cool about The Lawn Mower was the grip. It had a rubberized texture that proved effective whether you were dry shaving, using it in the shower, and even if your hands were coated in shave cream.
As you can see in the picture below, The Lawn Mower has two lights on the device (below the trimmer blade and on the handle):
While I couldn’t help to think of the light below the trimmer blade as a gimmick when first taking a look, it was actually pretty handy when clipping hair in the shower (more on this later in the review).
Furthermore, if you are dry shaving in a well-lit area, then the light won’t be necessary.
The power options for The Lawn Mower were also well thought out. It’s able to be charged in a cradle:
Or directly into the device:
It is powered by a USB connection into a power adapter (similar to most smartphones) – making it travel friendly, even if you are going overseas.
The device does work when plugged in.
While we touched briefly on the size of the device a moment ago, here are a few detailed looks at how The Lawn Mower stacks up against other popular grooming tools.
The Lawn Mower vs. Gillette Fusion5
The Lawn Mower vs. Schick Hydro
When it comes to width, it is interesting to note that the Lawn Mower is slightly more narrow when compared to a standard cartridge razor:
And about the same width as a standard beard trimmer (pictured is a Philips Norelco 7500 beard trimmer):
So what’s the takeaway here?
If you are buying The Perfect Package for body grooming, shaving your groin, or elsewhere – it will be just as efficient in navigating the contours of your body as your standard cartridge razor or existing trimmer.
Also included with the Lawn Mower is just one attachment comb that can slide between two lengths:
This attachment comb will cut hair to about 0.25” to 0.50” in length. Without any other attachment combs included, your hair length options are limited.
Let’s switch gears and take a look at the two other grooming related products contained in The Perfect Package:
Crop Reviver / Ball Toner
One of the best ways to think about Crop Reviver is as a Febreeze for your manhood. While it’s marketed as a Ball Toner, men generally like to apply the Crop Reviver to both their shaft, balls, and general groin area.
Relying on a blend of both natural and synthetic ingredients including aloe vera leaf juice, water, denatured alcohol, witch hazel, and a few others – it has a refreshing masculine scent.
The most noteworthy ingredient mentioned above is both aloe vera leaf juice and witch hazel. These ingredients have been cited countless times as helping to soothe skin (source). So, if you want smooth skin, particularly in the crotch area, then it should prove helpful.
Of course, denatured alcohol is the primary agent that will work to eliminate bacterial growth and foul odors.
Here are a few other notes worth mentioning when it comes to the Ball Toner:
- It probably wouldn’t be wise to apply this before any sexual intercourse. The inclusion of some synthetic ingredients may cause irritation for both you and your partner.
- On the side of the label, Manscaped does state that this shouldn’t be applied to the tip of your penis – so apply accordingly.
- When applying the Ball Toner, you will want to let it air dry. So instead of shooting it down your boxers and letting the toner absorb into the fabric, give a spritz and let your member air dry (if possible).
The Takeaway: The Crop Reviver is exactly as it sounds – a midday spray that helps to reduce odor by both eliminating bacteria and providing a masculine scent. It’s probably not wise to use this prior to sexual intercourse.
Crop Preserver / Ball Deodorant
In the dog days of summer, swamp nuts (aka swamp crotch, sweaty balls, etc.) are a real issue for a lot of men. Whether you work in construction or an office job, high heat combined with humidity will wreak havoc on your manhood.
The Crop Preserver by Manscaped was designed to combat this. Rather than relying on an aluminum compound (the active ingredient found in antiperspirants), they rely on talcum gel like Tapioca Starch along with a host of other ingredients.
The scent of the Crop Preserver is identical to the Crop Reviver.
It’s worth stressing that this isn’t an antiperspirant; instead, it is a deodorant and moisturizer. Therefore, you may still experience sweating. However, the odor-neutralizing properties along with a fortified moisture-barrier for your skin will help to reduce chafing. This is particularly important as the groin area has a high concentration of apocrine sweat glands that emit odor-causing sweat (source, source).
The Takeaway: The Manscaped Crop Preserver is a lotion that helps to keep things smooth while also working to prevent chafing. The Crop Preserver will also combat odor in the groin region.
Other Items In The Perfect Package 3.0
Beyond the grooming tools, The Perfect Package also includes the following:
- Boxer Briefs
- Dopp Kit
Here’s a quick look at each:
- Boxer Briefs: A blend of 92% polyester and 8% spandex, they are a lightweight and airy boxer brief that will feel great against your skin. There is some support built into the contour pouch on the front of the short. There is no fly access and does feature a flat seam that should reduce any irritation. Branding is around the waistband, which is a style choice that some men may or may not like.
- T-Shirt: Admittedly, I am a pretty humble guy. Therefore, a shirt with a company logo and the slogan “Your Balls Will Thank You” is a bit too loud and really isn’t my cup of tea. However, this is highly subjective and you may or may not like it. As far as the quality of the shirt, it is made from a 50% cotton / 50% polyester blend.
- Newspaper / Magic Mat: With all sorts of pun-related manscaping articles, it’s a nice extra touch that will give you a chuckle or two. However, beyond reading material, the newspaper does provide utility as being a throwaway mat to stand on while body grooming. Once all trimmed, simply roll up the sheet of paper and toss it out – much better than clogging the drain or creating a huge mess on the bathroom floor.
- Dopp Kit / The Shed: The toiletry bag that contains all these products is a nice and useful add-in. With a PVC plus polyester lining, it should bode incredibly well in damp conditions. Its 3 pouches on the left side coupled with the one larger zipper pouch on the right will keep all your grooming gear stored nicely away.
Product Details of The Lawn Mower
When it comes to using the Lawn Mower, it was a mixed bag. Let’s break this review down into four main sections:
- Device cutting power and battery life
- Cutting lengths
- Safety of the trim
- Waterproof casing
Cutting Power & Battery Life
With a 7,000 RPM motor, the Manscaped Lawn Mower is a decent and powerful little trimmer.
Relying on a fast-charging Lithium-Ion battery, it has a lengthy 90-minute run time.
As far as travel settings, the device is absent of any travel lock feature. Therefore, you may want to make sure that you pack the included charge cable if you plan on traveling for an extended period.
When it comes to body grooming, some men may favor versatility when it comes to hair length. Unfortunately, this is where the Manscaped Lawn Mower comes up short.
With only one included attachment comb, you can either cut the hair from 0.25” to 0.50” in length. While sure, cutting your pubic hair to the desired length probably isn’t a big deal – if you are also using this device on your chest hair, back, or armpit hair, the limited sizes can be a bit frustrating.
Safety of The Trim
When taking any trimmer to your delicate bits down below, safety isn’t a nice-to-have feature; rather, it is definitely a must-have feature. While Manscaped markets this trimmer with SkinSafe Technology – there wasn’t anything obvious on the device itself that indicates such a bold claim.
In fact, when trimming delicate areas with this trimmer, I did go rather slow, but still somehow managed to nick myself (more on this important detail in a minute).
If you want a safe cut with this electric trimmer, it is highly recommended that you use the included attachment comb as a buffer.
One of the nice features found in the Lawn Mower is the waterproof casing. Not only can this be used while in the shower, but after you are done trimming, you can simply rinse the head underwater to remove any clippings.
Using The Lawn Mower (With Pictures)
Now for the most important part of this review, using the Lawn Mower.
When using the Lawn Mower, you will want to make sure that you always use it with the trimming blade flat against your skin like this:
This allows for the clipper to glide along the surface of your skin and not injure yourself.
Furthermore, when using the Lawn Mower (or any clipper for that matter), you will want to go slow and try your best to pull your skin taut.
In the interest of not showing my groin to the world, I decided to shave two patches of my stomach / lower abdomen hair.
This is the best above-the-belt equivalent that will showcase the results.
Note: If you want to know how it will work below the belt, I’ll share those details in just a moment.